Search

Custom Search

October 8, 2008

Posted by Malou at 10/08/2008 09:59:00 PM
After reading this email message sent to me by a friend I thought of sharing it with you my friends especially to those who are fond of eating star fruit. Something to be aware of. Here's what the email says:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Star Fruit (Balimbing) Can Kill Goes by another name....carambola

We were advised to have a few servings of fruits a day in order to reap the benefits of fruits right? But obviously this is one big no-no fruit to be excluded from your fruity feast!

In Shenzen, more than 10 people who consumed the star fruit had died. And now a 66-year-old, Malaysian who has been suffering from kidney ailment fell into coma after eating the star fruits. Yes, all it takes is one fruit or 100ml of its juice and the ordinarily harmless star fruit transforms poison in a matter of hours for kidney patients. So does this mean, people without kidney problems should be fine with star fruit! My take: Not at all! Prevention is better right?

Universiti Malaya Medical Centre consultant nephrologist said that star fruits contain a neurotoxin which is not present in other fruits. It affects the brain and nerves. In healthy persons, the kidneys filter it out. But for those with kidney problems, this potent toxin cannot be removed and will worsen the consumers' conditions.

The symptoms of star fruit poisoning include:

~Hiccups
~Numbness and weakness
~Feeling confused
~Agitation
~Epileptic fist

The risk of death is high if you are having kidney ailments! But healthy individuals should beware of this fruit's potential toxin too. It could also cripple your vitality if you are not lucky. So don't take it for granted. It's better to avoid them. Please pass this news to others.

This fruit can end your life!

Kidney patients
should avoid star fruit

Star fruit is a decorative and refreshing treat and, for most of us, a
healthy delicacy. But for some people with impaired kidney function, the
star fruit (also known as carambola) can be deadly.

Researchers from Brazil and Taiwan are studying why star fruit causes
serious life-threatening reactions to some kidney patients..

Question: What are the symptoms of star fruit intoxication?

Answer: Typical symptoms occur within one to five hours and include
persistent hiccups, nausea, vomiting, agitation, insomnia, mental
confusion and convulsions. Death sometimes results. A study conducted at
the University of Sao Paulo found that hiccups were experienced in 30 of
32 cases, and vomiting in about two-thirds. Even though mental confusion
and convulsions were less common, these symptoms are more likely to be
associated with death.

Q: Does star fruit cause kidney problems?

A: No. Star fruit intoxication only occurred if some degree of kidney
failure already existed. For most of those affected, kidney decline was
extensive enough that they were being treated by blood dialysis, although
in four cases kidney problems had not reached that severity. There is no
evidence of any problem for people with normal kidney function.

Q: What substance in star fruit causes this problem?

A: The tangy tartness in star fruit comes from high levels of oxalic acid
(or oxalate). Weakened kidneys can be damaged if high levels of oxalate
accumulate in the organ. But it is likely that another toxin in star
fruit is also problematic since common foods such as spinach contain even
greater levels of oxalic acid and do not seem to be associated with this
severe problem.

The Brazilian researchers think that star fruit contains a substance toxic
to nerves (a neurotoxin). People with healthy kidneys probably clear this
toxin from the blood quickly and experience no problem. Without efficient
kidney function, the combined effect of oxalate and a neurotoxin may
deliver a double whammy.

Q: How much star fruit needs to be consumed to produce toxic effects in
kidney patients?

A: As little as one half of a fruit and less than eight ounces of star
fruit juice has caused serious symptoms. One person died from eating just
one fruit.

Current medical treatment for star fruit intoxication is prompt kidney
dialysis. Anyone who experiences hiccups, vomiting or other unusual
symptoms after eating star fruit should seek medical attention as soon as
possible.
On the positive side, star fruit lovers with normal kidneys should be able
to continue enjoying the delectable treat without concern.

Health Events



Alan Titchenal, Ph.D.., C.N.S. and Joannie Dobbs, Ph.D., C.N.S. are
nutritionists in the Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal
Sciences, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, UH-Manoa.
Dr. Dobbs also works with the University Health Services and prepares
the nutritional analyses marked with an asterisk in this section.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comments on " "

Cecile2 on October 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM said...

didn't know that star fruit is really bad for us, wow, thanks for sharing this to us, LOU. thanks for sdropping by, and have a nice evening!dropped ec also :-)

 

The journey Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez